When the veins in the anal canal get swollen of inflamed, it is the condition of hemorrhoids. Excess pressure on the veins causes it to swell up.
There are two kinds of hemorrhoids, namely internal and external. They are categorized so due to their position. Internal hemorrhoids are swelling of the veins inside the rectum. But when they get severe, they may start protruding out too. External hemorrhoids are the inflammation of the veins near the anal opening.
The vascular structure in the anal canal controls the stools. So, when too much strain is put on this area, it results in the above condition. Cases of diarrhea or cases of constipation can create strain on the veins. Pregnant women are usually faced by this condition during the period of pregnancy due to the pressure put by the fetus on the blood vessels in this area. Labor and delivery may further cause hemorrhoids. During childbirth, too much force is put to push the child out, resulting in swelling. Obese and overweight people are more prone to having hemorrhoids. Irregular bowel movements, sitting for prolonged period of time, low fiber diet and age are the other factors. In some cases, this may be a genetic issue.
The symptoms include bleeding while passing stool, itching, pain in rectal area and pain experienced while cleaning the same.
There are ointments available to provide relief from pain and itching. Anti-inflammatory medicines are taken for the swelling and pain. Surgeries are conducted for extreme situations. For external hemorrhoids, some simple home remedies may be used to get relief and for prevention. Some of the home remedies are:
1. Fiber: Include fiber in your diet. This is for ease of bowel movement.
2. Green leafy vegetables: These aid in bowel movement too.
3. Water: Drink ample amount of water. Water helps flush out the toxins from our body and softens the stools so that less pressure is applied on the veins.
4. Sitz Bath: Take a wide tub and fill with warm water. Sit and soak your swollen area in this for 10-15 minutes. This gives a lot of relief from hemorrhoids.
5. Papaya: Regular intake of papaya aids in digestion thereby helping cleaning of bowels.
6. Prune Juice: Prune juice is also beneficial.
7. Figs: Take few dry figs and soak in water throughout the night. Eat in morning.
8. White Radish: Include radish in your diet.
9. Witch Hazel: Apply little witch hazel on a cotton ball and apply on the area. It will provide you a soothing effect. Witch hazel has anti-inflammatory properties, which good in this condition.
10. Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera gel may be applied as well.
Avoid intake of oily and spicy food, this create burning sensation. Do not sit in one place for long time. Exercise without putting strain on the rectum area. Do not do heavy weight lifting. Clean gently after bowel movement, without rubbing or scratching. Keep your weight in control by doing some regular exercise. Consume lots of water and other fluids for ease of passing of stools. Practice the asanas in yoga which provide relief from the pain and swelling. Taking herbal supplements like Pilesgone capsule is also very effective in getting rid of hemorrhoids.